Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thailand Saturday


Above, Prof. Fred, Marlene, and Janet enjoy Breakfast in Bangkok.

So, we got in to Thailand late Friday night. I'd been sick all day Friday, and it continued somewhat on Saturday. John and I had welcome drinks at our hotel in Saigon on Thursday night--iced tea. They gave us welcome vouchers and got us to the rooftop bar for a drink. Iced tea was good with me, but I think John and Jeff were hoping for more. LOL.

Now iced tea sounds innocent enough, but the ice is the problem. It's made of water. John drank his down slowly, and I thought that perhaps if I sucked it down as fast as possible, the liquid wouldn't be in contact with the ice so long, so maybe I'd be OK.


John also asked the waitress if the ice was from mineral water (They do that at a lot of hotels for us westerners). One of the great things about being in the lower mekong delta (and thailand, too) is that no matter what you say, a lot of times people will nod and smile. Unfortunately, this is not always a good thing.


Our waitress didn't understand, and we knew it, and basically took a risk. Long story short, that night was a bad one for John. I was fine. Jeff was great, because he smartly refused to drink the iced tea. Finance guys are so logical, and black and white. DON'T drink the water. That's the rule. The computer guy and the sales guy tried to bend it. Imagine that.


Well Friday ended up sucking for me. I felt like garbage. I'm better now.


As I said, we got in to Thailand Friday night...and I went to bed immediately and slept pretty late. The rest of our group got in from the States in the neighborhood of 1 a.m. I learned the next day that some of them threw their stuff in the room and hit the bar. More power to them.


Breakfast was like a reunion. The Phuket gang was back, and everyone else was there. Above, from left to right are Dave, Pete, Andy and Aaron, They're in my EMBA group. Below are Heidi and Aimee from the Fellowes. Pete and I had been on a team with Aimee during one of our mixed sessions. We negotiated with indigenous people in a role-play case study. ooooooooooooo. Yes, it was exciting.


Saturday was a day of temples. I love the temples; I think that Buddhism is a neat religion and have read a little about it, so this trip has been great from that perspective.



see you soon...

No comments: